Hello Spring! I hope you are here to stay.
What a beautiful, warm and sunny day we have been blessed with in Southern Ontario!
I have the screen doors open and am basking in the sun that is shining through the windows. Love it.
I want to share a delicious oatmeal cookie recipe with you that I just made; the cookies literally just came out of the oven. I just had one (maybe two!) and they are great.
These cookies are low in sugar, are packed with fiber and are soft and chewy like you would want any oatmeal cookie to be.
Oatmeal Cookies with Date Puree
For the Puree:
– 1 cup cooking dates
– 1 cup water
– 1 tsp. vanilla
– 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and cook over low heat for about 20 mins, or until softened. Let cool and then puree the mixture.
For the cookies:
– 1/3 cup oil
– 1/3 cup cane sugar or maple syrup
– 1 egg
– 1 Tbsp. vanilla
– 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
– 1 cup whole wheat flour
– 1/2 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1 tsp. cinnamon
– 1/2 cup each raisins and dried cranberries
– 1/4 cup chocolate chips
– date puree
1. In a bowl beat the oil with the sugar. Beat in the egg, along with the vanilla, cinnamon and cooled date puree.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the rolled oats, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry with the dried fruit and chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
3. Bake in 350F oven for about 10 mins. Transfer onto wire racks to cool.
Enjoy as a snack or dessert. They are quite delicious served alongside some vanilla frozen yogurt.